We are campaigning for healthier, more inclusive streets in Southwark as we come out of lockdown (read more about the campaign here).
Here are three ways anyone can get involved:
Let your councillors know you care
Upvote suggestions on the Southwark Commonplace map
Share on social media what low-traffic and cleaner air means to you
1. Let your councillors know you care
Groups across Southwark, including Southwark Cyclists, have emailed the council detailed letters asking for measures to reduce traffic, encourage active travel and reduce air pollution. A short personalised email to your councillors can amplify this message. Writing a few sentences is the most impactful action you can do and easy with our template!
- Keep your email polite and friendly to contrast with the angry emails councillors will also receive from people discontent about the changes.
- If you have any questions or would like to share a response, you can contact us at email@example.com
- Ask your friends and neighbours to write an email as well by pointing them to this page. The more councillors see this is an issue of concern, the more pressure they’ll put on council leadership.
2. Upvote suggestions on the Southwark Commonplace map
- Follow the links on Southwark Cyclists’ list of priority measures to upvote the measures that we believe will make the most difference for active travel.
- This map is a great way to familiarise yourself with all the different things we could do to improve public space in Southwark. Upvote the measures in your local area.
- It’s also a great way to get your idea on the map!
3. Share on social media what low-traffic and cleaner air means to you
Along with writing to your councillors, posting on social media is a great way to show support for the council’s measures.
Tips for Twitter:
- Copy your local councillors, the council (@lb_southwark) and Richard Livingstone (@Livingstone_RJ), Cabinet Member for Environment, Transport and the Climate Emergency
- Example of hashtags you can use include #StreetsForDistancing, #PutSouthwarkOnTheMap and #BuildBackCleanerAir
- #BuildBackCleanerAir is a campaign funded by Guys and St. Thomas’ charity and Global Action Plan (the people behind Clean Air Day, the UK’s largest air pollution campaign). You can find out more from Guys and St. Thomas’ charity and the campaign’s main website. You can also email them photos directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us at @southwarkcycle for inspiration